Friday, May 3, 2013

Stress is neutral - from previously published note on facebook


stress is neutral - Eustress or distress - it is up to you

by Laura A Collins (Notes) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 11:07am
Perception:  Stress is neutral.  It is how we perceive the stressor that is positive or negative.  For example:  If I go hiking and I see a snake that is black and has a red ring around its neck, I will be happy and excited (non-poisonous snake, I might be able to touch or hold it, snakes are neat).  If my friend goes hiking and sees the same snake, she will be terrified (serious phobia of snakes).  However, the snake is still itself.  It is the same snake.  The only difference is how each of us perceives the snake.  


It is that way with chronic illness or any other part of life.  We have the choice each day of looking at it as an opportunity (eustress) or as a obstacle (distress).  


Today, I have papers to write.  I am a bit foggy and I ache all over.  But, instead of feeling like I "can't" do it, I am instead going to break it into little bits with lots of self-care interspersed.  I am going to focus on what I CAN do.  And I am going to plan around my challenges.  


Not all days are ones where I can be positive.  I have days of fuss and distress and tears.  But, negative or positive - my existence on those days is the same.  Accepting the negative does not change physical reality.  


So, today - I will do what I can, and it will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment