Saturday, May 18, 2013

Tips on Elimination Diets


Once you find an elimination diet, how do you go about re-introducing foods?  The question was asked on one of the support groups to which I belong.

This is what I did - and what I still do when I suspect there is a problem substance in my life.

For the original elimination diet, I used the book by William G. Crook (http://www.amazon.com/Detecting-Hidden-Allergies-William-Crook/dp/0933478151) Detecting Your Hidden Food Allergies.  I used the more severe plan because I did not want to do it twice.





Knowing that I had foods to which I reacted in the past, I removed all those.  Then I followed Crook's ideas.  How long did I keep the eliminated foods out of my diet?  I eliminated all suspect items until STOPPED FEELING BAD.

Tracking was simple for me - when I added something back and reacted (sometimes VERY spectacularly) the item was removed permanently.  Most reactions were immediate (within just a couple minutes of eating the substance) migraines.

Because my lungs are my most reactive system, I learned that a quick sniff could eliminate things with less pain than eating them.  So, oats were eliminated by sniffing - one whiff and my head felt like my brain had a muscle spasm.  Millet went the same way.

If the substance passed the sniff test, I would touch it to my lips.  If no tingle, swelling, or pain, then I would take a bite.  Then, I trialed a tiny bit.  Waited.  Trialed a bit more.  1 day later, ate a whole serving.  2 days later, ate as much of it as I could stand.  Did that the next day.  Did that the third day.  IF STILL NO REACTION, it was a keeper.  Reaction at any point - and it was on the no-way list.

I started with the least likely to cause problem item that was a SINGLE INGREDIENT FOOD.  Waited at least a week between foods.  If there was a reaction, often waited a month before trialing new foods - basically however long it took to start feeling better again.  Once I had enough single ingredient foods back, I started adding more complex ingredient foods (like cheese).  When a single ingredient failed (and sometimes in several single ingredient forms - several brands of rice or Coconut in flour, in coconut amines, and finally as a fresh coconut) then ALL DERIVATIVES of that ingredient were eliminated.

Went from most essential to least essential (eggs were way before maple syrup).  The most natural (straight off the vine) foods were before processed foods (carrots before maple syrup; almonds before milk).  Finally, if raw veggies failed, I did try them cooked (cooking seems to make a difference for me).

And, I would vary the utensils/containers I used for cooking the item - it is not just food you have to worry about.  For example, I react to things BAKED OR COOKED in silicon.  However, I am ok with foods cooked using a silicon spoon/spatula - if it is a high end silicon.  I am ok with stainless steel.  However, a lot of different Teflon non-stick surfaces cause me problems.

Hopefully, if you are thinking about an elimination diet, these tips will help.

Good luck.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment