Friday, May 3, 2013

My thoughts on marriage, civil unions and civil rights


My thoughts on marriage, civil unions and civil rights - May 2012

by Laura A Collins (Notes) on Monday, November 12, 2012 at 12:47pm
Romney and Obama have taken their stances on same-sex marriage.  I thought I might throw my opinion into the ring as well.  

It is irrelevant.  

Marriage should be nothing more and nothing less than a religious ceremony, and is the provenance of each flavor of religion.  

HOWEVER, civil unions are a matter of government and of rights.  I personally think ALL marriages should be grandfathered in as civil unions and that all future pairings for combining income and seeking tax status, benefits, etc. should fall under civil union law.  

Further, I believe that just as there are multiple forms of business unions (partnerships, corporations, etc.) that civil unions between CONSENTING ADULTS should be legal...  Civil Unions should be part and parcel of the CIVIL RIGHTS accepted and protected by the government - and open to all people, regardless of gender or sexual orientation (still prohibiting child abuse, however)... And yes, I am fine with more than two people joining in a union.  

HOWEVER, I also believe that civil unions should have significant consequences to dissolve.  So, if we split the government rights from the religious ceremony - then both Romney and Obama have taken stances which are ultimately irrelevant

No comments:

Post a Comment