Thursday, May 16, 2013

Shampoo and Soap - What if you are allergic to corn, coconut, and wheat? What about other things? WHAT DO YOU DO?

My allergy and reaction list is fairly extensive.  So, I have learned to make some of my own products.  These are some of the recipes:

SHAMPOO


I use soap nuts (Econuts work for me, other types cause itchies, but no hives) ground into powder (do not buy preground soap nuts which are sold in Indian stores - itchies x 10) in a coffee grinder.  Add about 8 soap nuts into powder to about 2 cups baking soda.  Mix well.  Keep in capped bottle.  Before shower, dump about 1 tablespoon (more if you have long hair, mine is short) into a bottle and add 1 cup or so of WARM TO HOT water.  Let sit while you wash your body (or while you just enjoy the shower).  About 3-5 minutes later, pour over already wet hair and scrub through.  Do again.  Rinse really well.

CONDITIONER

For conditioner, I am steeping marsh mallow root, cinnamon, hibiscus flowers, and a tiny piece of vanilla bean in boiled water for 1/2 a day.  Then strain and put into spray bottle.  Keep in refrigerator.  After shower, and before I make coffee, I spritz my hair.

Been doing this for many months now - very fine hair is shiny, healthy, and frizz free - also not limp or fried.  The no poo with vinegar (and now I react to apples, so no ACV) was rough on my hair.  This is working quite well.

SOAP

For soap, I use a local crafts person's lye soap (lard, ash, water).  It WILL toast hair, but seems perfect for my skin.  I am not yet adventurous enough to try making my own.

HAND SOAP

For hand soap, I have a talc shaker with baking soda in it.  Wet hands, dust with baking soda, scrub, rinse.  For really "yuck" hands, I do the soda, and then rinse with peroxide.

For on the go cleaning I have an empty pill bottle filled with soda and a spray bottle (purse perfume bottle) with peroxide.

CLEANING

I also use isopropyl alcohol for sanitizing and cleaning. - but rarely.  I prefer peroxide.

Skin Care

For skin care, I use Shea butter (the unrefined one that is bright yellow) and beeswax from a local bee keeper.

DEODORANT

For deodorant, I mix baking soda (about 1 tablespoon) and zinc oxide (about 1 tablespoon) (NOT THE MICRO SMALL ZINC) into melted Shea butter - between 1/4 and 1/2 cup.  Last batch I used cocoa butter, but that made the deodorant too"Thick" to spread well.  Also, I am not sure that I do not react to cocoa butter, so it is not something I am using much.

No comments:

Post a Comment