Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My Personal Adaptations for Chronic Illness - Some of my Facebook Posts

  • Laura A Collins Hiking poles - when out walking on uneven ground. 20 bucks for 2 of them at wal-mart. 

    face mask - stops the asthma. (side benefit... for the warped sense of humor people - can make toddlers scream! and worries the heck out of walmart managers) 

    VERY little in purse - or a purse that is a back pack. For trips, a waist bag - so maybe I look like I am pregnant (overweight with a bag hanging off my belly/side)... but it does NOT hurt my shoulders, arms or back AND can carry 2 waterbottles. 

    Little step stool for shower days when standing is difficult. Sit on it and since it is plastic, dries easily. Also -TMI warning - use it for a foot prop to prop up feet when on toilet (reduces incidence of hemorrhoids)

    Re-arrange cabinets - often used stuff in standing height - no reaching required. Re-arrange closets, drawers, etc... Either you can WORK to fit your environment or you can make your environment WORK TO FIT YOU!

    Slip on shoes (Birkenstocks) - drop and slide in feet, no stooping needed. Bras that can be fastened before putting on and then pulled over head. Pants that are stretchy so can just pull them up (even when they are zipped so no need to struggle with fingers in the morning).
  • Laura A Collins Necklaces with toggle clasps - so no need to struggle with little fasteners when hands are stiff. 

    Pens with extra large barrels - reduces stress on the wrist. 

    Split keyboard - reduces stress on wrists when typing.

    Place to prop up feet when at desk, better ergonomics for body. Chair that fits body - prob sat in 40 or so before I found "the right one".
  • Laura A Collins Lots of tote bags that have shoulder straps. I RARELY carry things in my arms. Instead, I put them in the tote bags and make a couple trips. No large packing of ANY type. Heavy hurts.

    Memory foam topper for my very firm mattress - the best of support and no poking places - soft enough for sensitive joints.

    Shampoo (I make my own) in easy to use flip top container - no messing with tiny lids when still half asleep.

    Meds in week long keepers - set up a month in advance. (4 keepers). Last one a different color - so when get to that one, call in the refill. Pick up before the end of the week.
  • Laura A Collins One set of migraine meds in a container that FEELS different - so I can get my meds even if I cannot see properly.

    Extra epipens and meds in multiple locations (work, travel bag, bedroom, bathroom). Never know when anaphylaxis will hit. Got to be prepared.

    Portable nebulizer (battery operated). Take care of asthma where-ever I may be - including hiking or on the road.

    List of all meds and medical info in car, at work, in medic alert account, and medic alert bracelet. ESPECIALLY ALLERGIES.

    wrist strap on cell phone, recorder I use at internship, and camera. Tendency to drop things is fixed when they are ATTACHED to the body.

    Keys on a carabiner. Attaches to purse strap WHERE I can see them - so do not lose them as often.

    Calendar on Door of bedroom - so I always see my appointments - every morning before I get dressed, every night before bed. No forgetting. Color code the calendar so it is OBVIOUS even when my brain is half gone from fatigue what is happening the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment