Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Box of Joy


Today in therapy, one of my clients was describing her life. Like many of my clients, and many of my friends... and like me - we all had in common the fact that often we do so much for others that we do not take time to have joy in our lives.
Therefore, this client's homework was to create a box of joy. What is a box of joy?
Well, an index card holder and a pack of index cards is the basic material. Dividers are set up for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1/2 a day, and a full day. Dividers can be made by turning a card sideways and cutting off a bit of it.
Once dividers are made, the goal is to create at least 3 cards per day.
What goes on a card?
SOMETHING JOYFUL, FUN, or RESTFUL.

For example - some of my 5 minute joys is a cup of tea, watching a sunrise or sunset, or laying out beads for a bracelet, or coloring with fine line markers.  Some of my day-long joys are hiking, photo trips along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and cooking and recipe creation.  It can be anything you have done before, you want to do, you have seen someone else do...  There are u-tube videos and Pinterest photos...  There are stress-reducing self-help books.
 So my question to you is this - What fun things are in your life?  What joyful things are there?  Do you have enough joy in your life?  If not, you might want to consider creating your own box - to draw yourself out a surprise when you have 5 minutes or a whole day of time.

Laura

This is from my last Blue Ridge Parkway photo trip.  :)

Image

No comments:

Post a Comment