Monday, April 22, 2013

An Introduction


I have never posted a blog before.  I have friends who post blogs and their continual creativity awes me.  How they find daily postings within themselves confounds me.

I have posted recipes, thoughts, and other work to my facebook page for the last several years.  However, my facebook page is locked and private.  And, as time passes, I find within myself the urge to share my recipes and thoughts…  and so… a blog.

Over the next several days/weeks, I will post the backlog of work from my Facebook page.  And then, as I create new recipes, have a thought here or there, or take photos of spring flowers, I will add to this blog.  I welcome your comments.  You are free to share anything you find here provided you attach my name to it and do not use it for your own financial gain.
Who am I?

That may be important as well – if you are deciding to follow this blog.  

I am an emerging counselor.  That means I am in the last bit of my Master’s of Mental Health Counseling Program.  Right now, I am an intern at the local Free Clinic.  So, much of what I think about is the state of mental health and trying to make sense of how different reality is from the myriad books I have read. 

**HOWEVER, any information posted on this blog is for educational purposes only and is NOT meant for diagnostic or individual counseling purposes.  If you feel you have mental health needs, please consult a qualified mental health professional or go to your local emergency room.

I have multiple allergies/intolerances..  I am allergic/intolerant to wheat, corn, coconut, millet, all grains, bananas, and lots of other things.  Someday I will post about those.  I participate in online support groups for corn-allergies.  I have fibromyalgia, but when I control the allergies, I am able to reduce or eliminate almost all fibromyalgia symptoms.  My theory is that allergies cause underlying inflammation... and it is this inflammation which triggers fibro symptom expression.
I am the single mother of a 16 year old son.  Family relationships and being mom are topics of interest. 

I am overweight.  Weight control and weight loss are topics I return to.  Often, these are tied to the Prochaska model “Stages of Change”.  Between allergies/intolerance, weight, and a lifetime love of food – I create a lot of recipes.  

I have a small (25-30 pound) dog.  Inky is neurotic, but lovable   He is a rescue dog and has taken quite a while (over a year) to recover mostly from his previous home.  He still has lots of anxiety.  His hips have damage and he also has hip dysplasia.  He takes medication daily.  

I have my own mental health issues.  I am OCD.  It took me years to learn to control the OCD.  Now, I am organized, and adapting to change takes me effort, but it possible.  I no longer have lists of lists nor do I obsessively arrange things.  However, I can organize the heck out of any schedule or event.  I have some degree of depression or cyclothymia.  This is controlled with 20 mg daily of Prozac (which lets me sleep), cognitive methods, and practicing of wellness.  We’ll talk about that on occasion as well.  Wellness is extremely important to me.  Wellness allows me to channel my mental health issues into strengths (like organization, accomplishing projects when have the energy boost of low level hypomania, etc.)  I have a holistic view of wellness and like to incorporate multiple domains.

I am a liberal in most political aspects.  That is something that will on occasion be a topic of conversation.  So will religion.

Pretty much – this is a blog where whatever comes to mind will find its way onto the screen.  Hopefully, there will be bits and pieces you enjoy or can use.  And, when something neither appeals to you nor applies to you, you are most welcome to skip that post or comment on your own point of view.  

I hope you are looking forward to this as much as I am.

:)

Laura

2 comments: