Tuesday, April 22, 2014

If I paid you $5000, would you let someone use your restroom?

If I paid you $5000, would you let someone use your restroom?

That is the question that was asked yesterday.  One of you got it right.  One of you did not.  Let me explain.

I buy gas for my car each week.  Due to the job I have, I am on the road a lot.  I spend between $100.00 and $150.00 most weeks.  One busy weeks, I buy $300.00 worth of gas.  But, hey - to make the math easy, lets assume I only spend $100.00 a week on gas.  Let's talk minimums!

I work most weeks.  So, let's assume I have 2 weeks I do not work.

That means 100x50 = 5000.

So, I spend about $5000.00 per year on gas.

I had been buying gas at the Marathon station (Speedy Mart) between Fairlawn and Dublin.  The gas there costs approximately $0.10 less than other locations.  And it is a local vendor.

BUT, yesterday while I was buying gas, my friend went into the store to ask to use the bathroom.  There was no sign up saying "no public restroom".  My friend was told, "We don't let customers use the bathroom." Uhmmm, OKAY.

So let's check - female person, no specific triggers for biases (not that this would be an excuse), acknowledgement of being a customer (person spending money), middle of the day (could maybe understand if this were midnight... or maybe not)....  And no bathroom access...

We drove down the road about 3 miles to Cougar Xpress.  Having already bought gas, I did not need to purchase anything.  My friend walked into the store and asked to use the bathroom.  "Sure thing."  And it was no problem.  Customer service was provided - even though we were not purchasing anything.

But guess what!  Remember that $5000.00 I spend in gas each year?  Want to know who is going to benefit from that money?  Surely is not Speedy Mart.

And, I did the math about that $0.10.  Going to Cougar Xpress will cost me another $120.00 per year.  I am willing to pay $10.00 per month for the purpose of supporting a business which will let a friend use the bathroom.

So next time you (business owner or employee) are asked by a community member if your bathroom is available for use, please consider that there are those of us who vote with our feet, our wallets, and our blogs.  That simple question might cost you $5000.00 or it might win you $5000.00.  You choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment