Sunday, December 29, 2013

A quick update :)

Well, it has been a while since I last blogged.  My life changed significantly and I had to take time to adjust to the changes.

I graduated from Capella in October.  I now have my Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling degree.  I got a job at EHS Support Services providing mental health support services to clients in Giles, Christiansburg, Radford, and areas in between.  Currently, I have 7 clients.  I really enjoy what I do and the people (both clients and coworkers) with whom I work.  I find my clients to be challenging, changeable, and delightful.  My coworkers are supportive and professional.  It is nice not to have to do politicking when I am at the office.

The transition from student to employed person required more adjustment than I had ever imagined.  I am working a 40-55 hour work week.  I was trying to take a Capella class also in order to obtain a certificate in Addiction Counseling.  However, I simply could not find balance between work and school and life.  So, I dropped the class.  Just recently I decided to drop the certificate program entirely.

Brian and I moved.  We now have a lovely little place.  However, the difference between communal living and independent living was unlike my expectations.  Brian and I have a huge backyard (a bit over 2 acres) in which the dogs love to run and play.  It is peaceful here with gorgeous sunsets.

We have Chai Chi (a rescue pup).  Chai is probably about 7 months old and is probably some sort of whippet mix.  Being young, Chai has more teeth than brains.  He loves to chew - so on days Brian and I are out of the house for long periods, Chai and Inky go to my parents' house for pet-sitting.

Brian had a sleep study done.  He was diagnosed with circadian rhythm disorder and restless legs syndrome.  While he does not stop breathing enough to meet criteria for sleep apnea (have to stop 5 times per hour), he does stop breathing (10 times in 6 hours).  We have a follow up appointment to see what that means.  Until then, he was prescribed Ambien for the sleep issues.  Since starting that, his sleep is normalizing a bit.

Brian has been struggling with his mood disorder (officially mood disorder NOS, I think he has bipolar I disorder with rapid cycling).  He had a moment of catharsis and epiphany.  Those changes plus the medication has resulted in his moods stabilizing for the first time in 7 years... a HUGE RELIEF for us all.

Working has me out and about in the community.  Exposure to allergens is common.  So, I am working on ways to minimize my exposure.  Fortunately, I am not reacting as badly to each exposure, but by the end of the day I am definitely having some allergic reactions.  So, I am taking benedryl each day and minimizing what I can.  This is letting me work... and I am hoping the trend continues.

I am still creating recipes and doing beadwork.  And, as I find balance with my new life structure, I am starting to return to the things most important to me - friends, blogging, reading, learning.  Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great to hear from you! Lots of changes to deal with, but it seems as though you are surviving quite well! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete