Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Wellness, reactions, and the whole-body thing.

Wellness, reactions, and the whole-body thing.

Been thinking about this since the other day’s discussion in a group to which I belong.  Thought I would try to make some sense of it all to myself and see what you all think.

Background:
I have anaphylactic reactions to airborne wheat and corn (and corn derivatives).  I have reactions spanning from not much to hives to swelling, migraines, numbness, cognitive problems, and so on to other types of exposures and to multiple other substances.  Therefore, I am grain-free and avoid lots of other substances/foods.  I am not the most sensitive of people, unless we are talking airborne, and then I might be considered sensitive.  To date, IF I avoid the other allergens as much as possible, I have been able to not have to compound my medications.  I can usually SMELL when something is going to be bad for me – not-safe-for-me items make it feel like I have spider webs drawing through my head (like walking through one in the forest).

Situation:
I can eat Raspberries.  I have local farmers who have u-pick farms and who are at the farmer’s market.  These are, at least were until Monday, were safe-for-me.   I was at a local grocery store which was having an AWESOME sale on raspberries.  I sniffed them and they “smelled good”.  So, I got a pack, and carefully separated the top berries from the ones touching the soaker pad (which is most always not-safe).  I ate FIVE berries.  This was about 2:00 PM.  (Note to new people – just because THIS item is safe from THIS source, does not mean that THIS item is safe from THAT source).

The first one did not taste as good as it should have.  The next one was a bit less luscious than the first.  By berry 5 my tongue was numb, my lips were starting to swell a little, my inner cheeks were swelling a bit.  Please note, my throat WAS NOT swelling.  Also, my fingers where I had touched the berries were bright red and tingly.  Reaction started about 2:05 PM.

I immediately took quercetin and benedryl at doses approved for me by my allergist.  I dropped 1 epipen into my pocket and put the other on the table.  I notified my son, who is 18 and was getting ready to head out, that I needed him to stay in-house as I was reacting.  Were he not available, I would have notified one of my neighbors.  If no one was available, I would have headed to ER by ambulance as I did not know how far this reaction would go.

I continued to monitor the situation, reporting at 15 minute intervals to my son, who had also notified my parents and who then reported to them as needed.  The swelling remained minor.  My inside mouth tissues felt sunburned and hurt, but my throat did not swell.  I was able to continue to think, although my emotions were all over the place.  I could breathe without difficulty.  My blood pressure went rather high (a typical allergic reaction for me). 

I did a nebulizer treatment to ensure that my lungs had as much support as possible (30 minutes into reaction).  I continued to alternate quercetin (odd hours) and benedryl (even hours) through the evening.  By hour 4, my blood pressure was 180/140.  By midnight, my blood pressure was 220/170.  By 3 AM (the next morning), blood pressure had dropped back to 180/130.  By 5 AM, it was down to 160/110. 

Asthma started to kick in about 10 PM that night.  I started to do nebulizer treatments every 6 hours.  The asthma was very mild compared to other reactions.

So – thoughts on all this.

The reaction was triggered by the berries, something on the berries, or something else.  It was a specific item making my body have a specific reaction.  Medication was needed to control the reaction and to support my body as it went through the reaction.  Without the medication, the reaction would have been MUCH worse. 

And to be clear, this WAS a mild anaphylactic reaction – if I had not had multiple anaphylactic reactions and if I had not KNOWN the local ER would increase my exposure to allergens, I would have been in the ER.  If it had been just a little worse, I would have been in the ER.  If people had not been available to stay with me, I would have been in the ER.

So, how does wellness come into play?
Well, I believe that a body is a system.  I believe there is complex interplay between all the factors and domains of our life.  Things that had increased my risk of reaction included the high pollen count (see full bucket theory a little bit further down), a previous fairly serious reaction about 10 days prior, lack of sleep the 3 or 4 nights before Monday, and stress over loss of job/having to fight the loss of job.  These all had taxed my body and reduced the amount of available resources to cope with the reaction.

What reduced my risk of reactions?  I avoid as much as I possibly can within my own home.  Most of my food is safe-for-me (of course, as illustrated I can make some really boneheaded choices on food as well)!!  I have a basic safe-to-eat diet for when reacting in order to reduce rebound reactions.  I meditate 15 minutes 2 x each day.  I have a wonderful support system.  I have a good medical support team – so I know I can handle situations.

Side-note – Bucket Theory.
I seem to be a bucket type of person.  Think of an empty bucket – each allergen exposure is a “drop” or perhaps a LOT of drops, into the bucket.  The fuller the bucket gets, the less space there is for more allergens.  Eventually, the bucket fills up.  The NEXT exposure, no matter how little or how much, is the one that tips the bucket over.  And that is the one that I experience as a HUGE reaction. 

How does the bucket relate?
So, the environmental pollens were drops.  The medications I take daily are drops.  The raspberries – for whatever reason, were the exposure which overflowed the bucket.  What I do not know at this point is if raspberries are a flood of exposure (like airborne wheat) which is going to overflow the bucket every time, if it was just THOSE raspberries, or if it was a contaminant on those raspberries.  I guarantee I will trial my were-safe-for-me raspberries VERY, VERY carefully the next time I eat them… which will be a while!

Side-note 2 – Moving Target
For me, my reactions are like a moving target.  I seem to randomly develop new allergens (most recent ones are cloves (asthma, migraine) and black pepper (ana to airborne).  I also do not have replicable reactions for the more mild of my allergens – I might immediately start vomiting on day, develop hives another day, or have an asthma attack the third.  Airborne wheat is ALWAYS an ana reaction involving lungs and swelling of throat/mouth.  Airborne corn usually is like wheat, but on a really empty bucket, I can get away with a blinding (literally shuts down my vision) 2 day migraine.  Airborne corn derivatives vary. 

How does the moving target relate?
So, it is very hard to say if I am exposed to this thing then this specific reaction will occur.  That makes it hard to plan around things – so I have learned to plan for about the worst 75% of the time reactions.  This seems to work best for me.  It also helps to paint a picture for my friends and family that the reactions are not always spectacularly visible, but that the chance of a bad reaction is always there.  We sometimes joke – “Do you feel lucky, punk?  Well do you?”….

Ok, so what about wellness?
I think that the more you can do to help your body be healthy all contributes to emptying the bucket.  The meditation I do each day has shown that it reduces my blood pressure…  I meditated during the reaction, which I do believe kept my blood pressure from going higher.  It would drop my blood pressure 10-20 points on top and 10 on bottom each time I did 15 minutes.  But, I am not good enough to meditate for hours.  

 If I had not been as worn out physically and emotionally, it may be that the reaction would not have been as much – NOTE – this does not mean the reaction would not have happened.

The things I had done to be healthy, I believe supported my body through the reaction, and hopefully reduced the intensity of the reaction.  Being aware of what was happening and being able to cognitively talk myself through it (and know what to expect in a broad sense) allowed me to remain calm.  I think remaining calm made it so anxiety neurochemicals and physical reactions did not intensify or the reaction by further taxing my body (in other words, so my body could put all energy to fighting the reaction).  A lot of the way I think about my body is derived from dynamic systems theory, a rudimentary understanding of/interest in neuroscience, and various other concepts.

So, I rather consider wellness practices – whatever ones work for you – to be under the heading of things to increase physical resiliency.  These are things that can help you keep your bucket emptier – provided you do the structural work of avoiding allergens in all ways possible!  Wellness practices do not, at least in my opinion, take the place of medication, medical protocols/advice, and avoidance of allergens.  Wellness practices do provide one more tool in the fight to maintain the quality of life you want to maintain.

To summarize, my allergy life plan looks rather like this –
1.        AVOID EXPOSURE TO ALL THAT CAN BE AVOIDED
2.       Keep medications on hand and work with your medical team. 
3.       Make sure support groups are informed
4.       Increase wellness in all ways possible (eustress)
5.       Reduce negative stress (distress) in all ways possible.
6.       Plan that there will be reactions – and know what to do in each type/situation
7.       Don’t make impulsive decisions (I blew that one this time!!)

8.       Stay current on the research and information – science is still in the middle ages when it comes to the whole of the human body.

No comments:

Post a Comment