Thursday, December 4, 2014

Roasted taters and cheese. Beeswax lip & Hand balm - 2 recipes

Roasted Taters and Cheese
Last night, I was hungry, but really did not want to do much cooking and DEFINITELY did not want to do many dishes.  So, I thought about some sort of twist on a baked potato.  This is what I ended up with:

2 large (baking) potatoes - scrubbed clean.
8 ounces mozzarella (or any other) cheese
1 tablespoon butter

I sliced the scrubbed baking potatoes into rounds that were 1/4 inch thick.  It is important to get all rounds about the same thickness.

I put down a layer of potato rounds in the bottom of a glass casserole dish.  I then laid out a second layer on top of the first, offsetting the potatoes so the second layer lay over the edges of the potatoes below it.

I dotted the entire top layer with very thin slices of butter.

I put this into a cold oven and turned it onto 400 degrees fahrenheit, let it bake for 20 minutes.

At 20 minutes, I took the potatoes out of the oven and topped with thinly sliced mozzarella cheese (could use shredded cheese, but why bother with the work of shredding it when slices work just as well??).  I put the potatoes back into the oven for another 15-20 minutes.  When the cheese was toasty browned on top and crispy, I took them out of the oven.

It was a lovely meal to eat with salmon and green peas.  And, the amount of dishes - 1 casserole dish and 1 knife (I sliced the cheese in the casserole dish before layering on potatoes so I did not have to dirty a cutting board).

AWESOME!




BEESWAX LIP/HAND BALM

2 ounces of beeswax
1/2 cup castor oil
1/4 cup apricot kernel oil.

Put all ingredients in a double boiler (or if you don't have one as I do not, make one by sticking a smaller pot suspended in a bigger pot and fill the bigger pot so water covers the bottom 1/3 of the smaller pot's depth).

Heat OVER LOW HEAT (takes about 30-45 minutes) to melt the beeswax.  Stir frequently.  Time to completely melt beeswax is reduced if you chop the beeswax into thin chunks/slices prior to heating.

Once completely melted, turn out into glass dish with sides or into containers.  Once cool, use sharp, oiled knife to cut into small squares.  Wrap in waxed paper and then in foil.  Tie a little bow on it.  Give as gifts for hands/lips over winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment