Monday, September 2, 2013

What is Advocacy?

Advocacy –
Speaking for those who cannot or will not speak for themselves. 

Using your talents and abilities to help others have opportunities to grow, learn, heal. 

Not tolerating injustice, but also actively seeking to increase access to resources for people who do not have access.

Understanding that offering assistance, addressing institutional bias, and working within systems for change DOES NOT confer control over a person’s actions.  One is advocacy, the other is imprisonment – regardless of how benign and comfortable the cell.

Understanding that it not us versus them.  It is instead we.  It is essential that instead of being the Lone Ranger of advocacy, we gather groups of people (including people who would use that which we are seeking) to work together in advocating for change.

Accepting differences and celebrating those differences, while also understanding that opportunities and knowledge are not evenly distributed.  Further, it is understanding that not all people WANT the same opportunities.  It is important to listen to the preferences and needs of the people for whom we are advocating.


How do I advocate?  

I start with the client.  
We challenge and work through internalized messages of lack and damage hidden within “the stigma” of mental illness.  I encourage growth and client-led therapy choices.  I have lists upon lists of community resources which I use to provide access for my clients so that they can obtain needed resources (food, shelter, income).  I encourage my clients to consider self-actualization through education, volunteering, or spiritual development. 

I start with the gatekeepers.
I advocate though developing a network of gatekeepers in the community.  And, when I contact them to see what services they offer, I make sure they have my information and provide them with any information which might enhance or further their mission.  I have done this for long enough that people will call me asking for specific resources. 

I start with my community.
I talk about mental health in my community, spreading information among all that I know.  In this way, correct information gets out into the population and stigma can be decreased.  I have Facebook support groups I co-admin or I host.  I share information sources with people there and on my personal wall.  I create a blog that is open to the public. 

I start with my life.
Advocacy is not only what my future career suggests (ACA Code of Ethics), it is part of who I am.  I am open and honest about my own mental health issues (OCD, depression (or cyclothymia, which is more likely), SAD).  I am open and honest about physical health issues (fibromyalgia, arthritis, nerve damage, allergies).  I use my life as an example of thriving around, coping with, and living through chronic conditions and illnesses.  And, I am very much aware that my experience, as blessed as it has been, is full of resources and opportunities that other people may not have.


Laura Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment